Still Naive

Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh Baby

That's my very last pregnancy photo, exactly 41wks. What a whirlwind. The hubs and I arrived at the hospital on Sunday morning at 7am for an induction. I was the only person there for a couple of hours which was neat, but soon other women showed up and started having babies-I however was not. Inductions take forever. I felt bad for my mom, she wanted to be there for the whole thing (which was really boring) and just about froze in the room. They started with a little pill called misoprostol which is supposed to dilate and efface the cervix. It didn't. I did however start having contractions, not bad but uncomfortable. After having the miso pill they can't start the pitocin for at least 6 hours so you just have to sit and wait. They tell you to try and sleep but that's a big joke. I got a couple of episodes of some weight loss show in on Discovery Health and my mom brought me a video. By 4p the contractions really sucked. I would have 3 right on top of one another and then 4 minutes of down time. I was only dilated 2cm which is sucky progress.

Finally after whining the hubs asked the nurse for pain medication and my good friend the epidural was administered. Once in the dilation sped up and pitocin was administered. Unfortunately I got what was called a "hot spot" this is when the epidural shifts and you have a small area that is no longer numb. My area was right above my left pelvic bone and every contraction was intensified to that one spot. There is really nothing they can do. Luckily it happened about 45min before delivery so I didn't have to suffer longer. My doctor who is absolutely awesome told the nurses to up the epidural in an effort to numb the hot spot. Guess he doesn't like to see pregnant women cry. By 10:37p and only 7 mins of pushing Aiden was forced into the world. He weighed in at respectable 7lbs 13oz and was 19.5in long. Full head of hair (and yes a round head thank god). This pregnancy and delivery were much easier than HP's. I'm guessing second time is a little easier and it helps if you're actually close to the due date.

This is my totally awesome OB Dr. Boulting after the delivery.
Hunter with his new baby brother.


I happened to catch Aiden smiling (5 days old).

Recovery has been a lot easier this time too. You learn a lot from the first baby too. Like, I don't care how bad my boobs hurt I refuse to wake up Aiden. Right now he's sleeping for 3 to 4 hours at a time and I'd like to keep it that way. They tell you in the hospital to wake them up every 2 hours and nurse. Whateva! He's gained 8 oz in 3 days so I'm thinking he's doing all right. More sleep for mommy makes a much nicer mommy.

2 Comments:

Blogger adrienne *+*(^_^) +*+ said...

gratz!!! your baby boy is beautiful.. gj.. and look at that smile!!!!
(^_^)

11:24 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Oh! He is perfect! He LOOKS like an Aiden.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home